Next Adventure in
Everyone loves a good tale. We Cyclists, all love the classics and the stories that were written on those legendary roads. Now it is time for some new chapters, and you can help to ride them. Get ready for the bikepacking adventures, on these legendary roads.
Classics Story, The Northern Way
April 3 to 9 2023
The day after the pro riders have conquered their Tour Of Flanders, we will be ready to start this amazing adventure in Ghent.
A 1200 km self supported cycling adventure on the legendary roads of the Northern Classics with lots of Bergs & Cobbles. You will conquer elements out of 10+ Classic Bike Races.
We’ve worked hard to bring you the most exciting bikepacking event in the world. So sit back, relax and get ready to launch yourself into the most challenging classic bike race.
Feel the classics, taste cycling history, write your own story on the most legendary roads and enjoy the landscapes. 7 days of adventure, no support and just a few rules. We’ll give you an amazing track, the rest is up to you.
An epic journey through cycling history will be provided in this adventure, this will be a personal challenge!
The route will start in Ghent, from there we will challenge you over lots of legendary cobbled roads and bergs.
We will pass by sections of Omloop Het Nieuwsblad, Kuurne Brussel Kuurne, Nokere Koerse, Dwars Door Vlaanderen, E3 Prijs, Gent Wevelgem, Ronde Van Vlaanderen, Paris Roubaix, Amstel Gold Race, Brabantse Pijl, Flèche Wallonne, Liège Bastogne Liège Dwars Door Het Hageland and Brussel Cycling Classic.
In 2 of these races there are some gravel sections, and along the route, when we connect the different race passages, we have chosen the most secure roads, so some extra gravel roads are added for your security. But all of these sections will be smoother than the best cobbled section and we guarantee it is roadbike proof. Der Lokomotiv did test ride all with 25 mm tires and did not experience any flats.
The start will be given the day after the pro Riders conquer their Tour of Flanders. So the races are never far. it is likely that the second day you will see some pro riders recon the Roubaix course, please enjoy their passage and give them a big thumbs up.
For those of you, who would like to experience a little more cycling history during their adventure. In Roeselare we pass by Museum Koers, in Oudenaarde CRVV and at the Balenberg, Sven Nys Cycling Center.
We will finish in Valkenburg, close to the Cauberg. There we will have the finishers party, Sunday during the live coverage of Paris Roubaix.
There should be enough time to finish this adventure with just daytime riding. If you decide to ride at night, it is mandatory to use an appropriate front and rear lighting as well as a high visibility reflective clothing. Be aware of the fact that cycling consecutively for many days, with few or no rest, can cause hallucinations and drastically lower the threshold of attention on the road and the perception of danger. Therefore we don’t recommend participants to cycle during nighttime.
The Previous Editions
The first edition went out in 2020, 3 participants drove their story, which unfortunately could not continue on the French roads under the influence of covid, so just like the pro peloton there was no Roubaix course this year. Rudy was the first to finish his 1100 km adventure in 3 days 10 hours and 5 minutes. It took Sven more than 2 days more and Bart reached the finish in more than 7 days, which puts him outside the set time. But he did finish.
in 2021 we were allowed to offer the entire course. 6 riders left the day after the world championship. Their challenge is to finish during the Roubaix pro race. 2 succeeded, Yves, in 3 days 12 hours and 53 min. Erik finished after 6 days 9 hours 32 min . For what they told us Bart, Tom, Michiel and Glenn also had a fantastic adventure that, however, ended early for various reasons.
In 2022 we did ride in perfect weather, so the 7 riders who did start, finished within 6 days. Justinas Leveika did it in 2 days 11 hours and 49 min and so he did put an amazing record time on the tables.
Rules & Regulations
- Riders must respect local and national laws and the rules of the road.
- Riders must wear a helmet when riding their Bike.
- Riders must complete the designated route from start to finish under their own power.
- Riders are required to use a (provided) GPS tracker during their ride at any time.
- The bike must be equipped with a bel, lights and reflective strips (in addition, riders need to have a spare set of lights with them at all time)
- The use of running day lights at the front and rear is required
- All riders need to have a reflective vest with them all time (mandatory use in dark weather)
- A first aid kit is strongly recommended.
- The use of outside support from third parties is not permitted in any way whatsoever.
- Drafting is prohibited. Exception registered pairs.
- Drafting non participants is not allowed.
- A medical certificate that says you are in good health, free of conditions incompatible with the practice of amateur cycling and, therefore, able to participate in a long distance non-competitive cycling event such as Classics Story, provided by your family doctor is mandatory.
- No insurance, no ride.
- No prize money.
Due to COVID we opted for a social media approach for the checkpoints.. Take a photo or video of yourself at the following keypoints of The Classics and post it on Social Media. Don’t forget to tag Classics Story. We will give an example photo of each of the legendary roads below so that you can recognize them along the way. The Split GPX track will also happen in one of those places. Each of our GPS tracks will give 4 options, you will need to put at least 2 online. The choice is yours.
Checkpoints Track 1: Omloop Het Nieuwsblad, Nokere Koerse, & Gent Wevelgem
Checkpoints Track 2: Paris Roubaix
- Bois de Wallers
- Moulin de Vertain
- Carrefour de l’Arbre
Checkpoints Track 3: Ronde Van Vlaanderen, E3 Prijs & Dwars Door Vlaanderen
- De Muur
Checkpoints Track 4: Brabandse Pijl & Dwars Door Het Hageland
- Hertstraat (Overijsel)
- Centrum Sven Nys
- Birthplace Eddy Merckx
- Kerkstraat (Molenbeek)
Checkpoints Track 5: La Flèsh Wallonne & Liège Bastogne Liège
- Mur de Huy
- La Roche en Ardenne
Col du Stockeu
- La Redoutte
Checkpoints Track 6: Amstel Gold Race
Discover More Legendary Roads you will pass @Instagram
Of course you will pass more legendary places, so we hope to see some photos on your social media every day.
- The Registration cost for the 2023 edition is € 230 (Registration will close the day of the Strade Bianche 23:59).
For those who want to ride as a pair both the riders have to register and pay. Please give us the name of your team and riding partner in the comments at subscription.
In the week after the Strade Bianche an email will be sent to all participants including more detailed information, the gps track and a form to be completed. In this form you will have to send your medical certificate and we will request additional information to present the different riders on social media and our website.
What you get from Der Lokomotiv:
- The Route in form of a gpx file
- Tracking device for the duration of the event
- A dotwatching platform during the event and the publishing of your individual times on our website.
- Official race cap with your dot number
- A reflective vest as a souvenir, provided by raceviz.be
- A (Vegan) Pasta at the riders meeting, the evening before the start
- Pictures we make during the event (can’t guarantee we have yours but we will try)
- Rider’s insurance.
Every rider must be in possession of a valid insurance (this is usually provided by the cycling association of your country) We recommend every rider to have a travel insurance, for non-European residents travel insurance is mandatory.
- Everything that is not mentioned above
- Your trip to start and back from the finish.
- Any kind of support during your adventure.
- The € 70 deposit for the GPS tracker. Bring in cash to the start. When we get your tracker back, you will of course get your money back.
- Transport of your bicycle case from Ghent to the finish line. Optionally we can transfer one piece of luggage for € 25. To be paid at the start.